Energy bills are rising across the UK and many households will be looking for ways to cut back on costs.
The monthly increases in both gas and electricity prices in April 2022 alone were the largest ever recorded on a series going back to 1988. The annual increases to last year were also the largest ever recorded on a series since 1970.
Whilst the surges are unavoidable, there are small things that can be done to alleviate the impact. Here we have provided a step-by-step explanation of a tip that can potentially save household energy usage over time – and it’s as simple as reducing the maximum temperature on a boiler.
- Most boilers can reach 75 degrees for heating and hot water. Whilst heat is lost before it reaches a tap or radiator – meaning it will never come out at that temperature – it’s still unnecessarily high.
- Resetting a boiler to 55 degrees means it will not have to work as hard to reach its optimum point, so it is ultimately using less energy to heat a home and its water.
- During the winter in the UK, there are often drastic changes in temperature throughout the day, which means people leave their heating off all day before cranking it up high in the evening. However, this expends a fair amount of energy.
- Boilers use the most energy when trying to meet the desired temperature from cold. When at that temperature, it will be like cruising in a car at 70mph , where it is only necessary to tap the accelerator gently to maintain the speed or, in this case, the temperature.
- If a boiler is set to a lower maximum temperature, it’s more efficient to maintain the daytime temperature at a few degrees lower than the desired morning and evening temperature. Although this means the boiler will work for longer, it ultimately uses less gas to heat the house to the optimum temperature when someone really needs the heating.
The theory behind this idea is for your boiler to work efficiently rather than harder than necessary in order to reach the desired temperature.
If you do not know how to set up your heating system in order to achieve this, do call a Gas Engineer or ask them next time you have your annual boiler service. A boiler service will also make sure that your boiler meets its warranty requirements as far as the manufacturers are concerned as well as ensuring it is running as it should so again achieving the efficiency we all want.
This is something that can vary depending on the property and there are other influences and aspects to take into consideration. Insulation is one of the most important things, as a well-insulated property will mean the temperature is maintained and the boiler’s work is cut down. The fabric of the building is also something to consider.